One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument for examining the larynx, or for inserting a tube through it.
- ‘If there is any concern over maintenance of ventilation, an endotracheal tube is place by the surgeon via the laryngoscope.’
- ‘If the child shows classic signs and symptoms, direct visualization of the supralaryngeal area is carried out promptly using a laryngoscope or bronchoscope.’
- ‘Our concern arose as a result of an incident when in the course of endoscopic examination of a glottic cancer the laryngoscope was dislodged leaving the jet catheter in the upper trachea.’
- ‘The most accurate means of detecting MAS is by examining the vocal cords with a laryngoscope.’
- ‘Straightbladed paediatric laryngoscopes are designed to be inserted beyond the epiglottis, which is then lifted by the tip of the blade to expose the vocal cords.’
- ‘There are no batteries for electrical instruments like torches, ophthalmoscopes and laryngoscopes.’
- ‘As injury to the mucous membrane of the larynx could occur when an endotracheal tube or a laryngoscope, selected on the basis of western data, is introduced into the larynx of patients.’
- ‘After induction with general anesthesia, the glottis was directly visualized via suspension laryngoscopy and ventilation maintained by jet ventilation through the laryngoscope.’
- ‘By mid-century, the stethoscope had been joined by the ophthalmoscope and laryngoscope, the thermometer and spirometer.’
- ‘Before using the measuring devices to determine the implant size, the surgeon inserts the fiber-optic laryngoscope.’
- ‘A short obese neck and full breasts due to pregnancy may make it difficult to insert the laryngoscope into the mouth.’
- ‘This may involve direct visual examination of the inside of the larynx with an instrument called a laryngoscope or indirect examination of the airway with a mirror.’
- ‘As specialists, we visualise the pharynx and upper oesophagus with mirrors and a flexible laryngoscope and use rigid endoscopy under anaesthesia, which is the gold standard for investigation of this difficult area.’
- ‘In the fiberoptic endoscopic examination of swallowing, a transnasal laryngoscope is used to assess pharyngeal swallowing.’
- ‘Semicritical items that will come in contact with mucous membranes and nonintact skin (eg, bronchoscopes, laryngoscopes) require high-level disinfection.’
- ‘The rats were anesthetized lightly with ether and instilled with the sample suspensions via trachea under direct observation with the aid of a laryngoscope.’
- ‘There were also syringes, metal and leather gags, electrodes and even a laryngoscope, normally used by doctors to examine patients' airways.’
- ‘Avoid extreme tension or tilt of the laryngoscope.’
- ‘Many of the survivors would also have died if there had been no endotracheal tubes, laryngoscope, or doctor capable of intubating them.’
- ‘The laryngoscope is used again to confirm vocal cord medialization while the patient phonates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.