One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in ancient Roman belief) household gods worshipped in conjunction with Vesta and the penates.See also penates
- ‘Each family home would also have a small altar and shrine. The Romans had personal household gods or spirits called ‘lares’ which were worshipped every day at home.’
- ‘In this sacrificial procession, statuettes of the lares and of the Emperor are held by three of the figures on the left.’
lares and penates
A person's home and household possessions.
- ‘No wonder students in the College Programming Office compiled a complementary, unofficial list of lares and penates, ‘Things to Make a Dorm a Home.’’
- ‘Throw in white and you resolve at least Leeds and Spurs, and get the colours of St. George - perhaps playing in these colours creates some form of prayer to the lares and penates, or to St. George or England itself?’
- ‘He would also have had more loyalty to his own culture - more pietas (respect for the lares and penates).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.