One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Gods of the household worshipped in ancient Rome.See also penates
- ‘Each family home would also have a small altar and shrine. The Romans had personal household gods or spirits called ‘lares’ which were worshipped every day at home.’
- ‘In this sacrificial procession, statuettes of the lares and of the Emperor are held by three of the figures on the left.’
lares and penates
A person's home and household possessions.
- ‘No wonder students in the College Programming Office compiled a complementary, unofficial list of lares and penates, ‘Things to Make a Dorm a Home.’’
- ‘He would also have had more loyalty to his own culture - more pietas (respect for the lares and penates).’
- ‘Throw in white and you resolve at least Leeds and Spurs, and get the colours of St. George - perhaps playing in these colours creates some form of prayer to the lares and penates, or to St. George or England itself?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.