Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A surgical incision into the abdominal cavity, for diagnosis or in preparation for major surgery.‘a further laparotomy was performed’mass noun ‘patients undergoing exploratory laparotomy’
- ‘When the patient began bleeding from a gastric ulcer and exhibiting signs of hypovolemic shock, an exploratory laparotomy was performed.’
- ‘An exploratory laparotomy was performed immediately after the second CT scan to search for a perforated viscus.’
- ‘A 47-year-old man began having painful hiccups several times a minute after undergoing an exploratory laparotomy.’
- ‘An exploratory laparotomy and splenectomy were performed.’
- ‘Sites need not be marked for other procedures including those with a midline incision, cesarean-sections, laparotomies, and laparoscopies.’
- ‘Exploratory laparotomy and total abdominal hysterectomy were performed.’
- ‘Subsequently, an exploratory abdominal laparotomy was performed to remove the masses.’
- ‘The patient was taken to the operating room for an exploratory laparotomy through a transverse umbilical incision.’
- ‘Mr M was taken to the OR for an exploratory laparotomy and splenectomy.’
- ‘Ten days after the initial presentation the patient had an exploratory laparotomy through a transverse subumbilical incision.’
- ‘In contrast to surgery by laparotomy, the mini laparotomy uses a much smaller incision with a length of approximately 6 cm.’
- ‘The history of a negative laparotomy for acute abdominal pain is also consistent with IBS, since these patients are more likely to have unnecessary surgery.’
- ‘The patients underwent three unnecessary laparotomies before the correct diagnosis was made.’
- ‘Exploratory laparotomy was performed, and a large soft tissue mass was found extending from the left side of the pelvis involving the rectum.’
- ‘The patient underwent an exploratory laparotomy under the suspicion of malignant tumor of the cecum or appendix.’
- ‘We recently performed our fourth laparotomy on the same patient in a seven-day period.’
- ‘The exploratory laparotomy disclosed no abdominal trauma or hemorrhage.’
- ‘A laparotomy uses a bigger incision to remove the cyst or possibly the entire ovary.’
- ‘In all cases, the patients had undergone previous laparotomies at medical centers where powdered gloves were used.’
- ‘The patient underwent an exploratory laparotomy and small bowel resection.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek lapara ‘flank’ + -tomy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.