Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A surgical incision into the abdominal cavity, for diagnosis or in preparation for major surgery.‘a further laparotomy was performed’[mass noun] ‘patients undergoing exploratory laparotomy’
- ‘The exploratory laparotomy disclosed no abdominal trauma or hemorrhage.’
- ‘An exploratory laparotomy was performed immediately after the second CT scan to search for a perforated viscus.’
- ‘In all cases, the patients had undergone previous laparotomies at medical centers where powdered gloves were used.’
- ‘A 47-year-old man began having painful hiccups several times a minute after undergoing an exploratory laparotomy.’
- ‘In contrast to surgery by laparotomy, the mini laparotomy uses a much smaller incision with a length of approximately 6 cm.’
- ‘The patient was taken to the operating room for an exploratory laparotomy through a transverse umbilical incision.’
- ‘We recently performed our fourth laparotomy on the same patient in a seven-day period.’
- ‘The patient underwent an exploratory laparotomy under the suspicion of malignant tumor of the cecum or appendix.’
- ‘Exploratory laparotomy and total abdominal hysterectomy were performed.’
- ‘The patient underwent an exploratory laparotomy and small bowel resection.’
- ‘Exploratory laparotomy was performed, and a large soft tissue mass was found extending from the left side of the pelvis involving the rectum.’
- ‘Ten days after the initial presentation the patient had an exploratory laparotomy through a transverse subumbilical incision.’
- ‘When the patient began bleeding from a gastric ulcer and exhibiting signs of hypovolemic shock, an exploratory laparotomy was performed.’
- ‘Mr M was taken to the OR for an exploratory laparotomy and splenectomy.’
- ‘The patients underwent three unnecessary laparotomies before the correct diagnosis was made.’
- ‘The history of a negative laparotomy for acute abdominal pain is also consistent with IBS, since these patients are more likely to have unnecessary surgery.’
- ‘A laparotomy uses a bigger incision to remove the cyst or possibly the entire ovary.’
- ‘An exploratory laparotomy and splenectomy were performed.’
- ‘Subsequently, an exploratory abdominal laparotomy was performed to remove the masses.’
- ‘Sites need not be marked for other procedures including those with a midline incision, cesarean-sections, laparotomies, and laparoscopies.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek lapara flank + -tomy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.