One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A courtyard or similar enclosure, especially the first of two courtyards in a traditional Sotho homestead.
yard, courtyard, quadrangle, square, close, enclosure, precinct, esplanadeView synonyms
- ‘Seating is offered under the lapas, around the bar (on unique lavatory seats), indoors or out in the garden.’
- ‘Here, on 2.8 hectares of prime real estate in Orlando West, people can rent one of the 10 self-catering bushveld-style lapas - available for the day - or hold conferences or functions.’
- ‘Board members, management and staff of the zoo, and guests from Bird Life South Africa and Sasol, gathered at a lapa adjoining the Sasol Wing of the bird enclosure, for the official launch of the booklet on 9 June.’
- ‘In the centre of the lapa the mopane wood fire curled off its glorious smell of tropical Africa, and David crunched an iron pot into the embers - he was making his delicious mealie bread for a late night snack.’
- ‘In the middle of the bush near Kruger National Park we sat down to dinner under the stars - a lapa organised by Kapama private game reserve.’
- ‘Cane chairs and tables are a favourite item in Namibian lapas.’
- ‘As you approach the place, you find men seating on chairs - all eating meat from the convenience of a thatch roof lapa.’
- ‘It's close to Windhoek, has a gorgeous view, a huge lapa and Houalet is prepared to go to extreme lengths to cater for any event and make it perfect!’
From Sotho lelapa.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.