Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A courtyard or similar enclosure, especially the first of two courtyards in a traditional Sotho homestead.
yard, courtyard, quadrangle, square, close, enclosure, precinct, esplanadeView synonyms
- ‘As you approach the place, you find men seating on chairs - all eating meat from the convenience of a thatch roof lapa.’
- ‘Here, on 2.8 hectares of prime real estate in Orlando West, people can rent one of the 10 self-catering bushveld-style lapas - available for the day - or hold conferences or functions.’
- ‘Seating is offered under the lapas, around the bar (on unique lavatory seats), indoors or out in the garden.’
- ‘It's close to Windhoek, has a gorgeous view, a huge lapa and Houalet is prepared to go to extreme lengths to cater for any event and make it perfect!’
- ‘In the centre of the lapa the mopane wood fire curled off its glorious smell of tropical Africa, and David crunched an iron pot into the embers - he was making his delicious mealie bread for a late night snack.’
- ‘Cane chairs and tables are a favourite item in Namibian lapas.’
- ‘In the middle of the bush near Kruger National Park we sat down to dinner under the stars - a lapa organised by Kapama private game reserve.’
- ‘Board members, management and staff of the zoo, and guests from Bird Life South Africa and Sasol, gathered at a lapa adjoining the Sasol Wing of the bird enclosure, for the official launch of the booklet on 9 June.’
From Sotho lelapa.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.