One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A courtyard or similar enclosure, especially the first of two courtyards in a traditional Sotho homestead.
yard, courtyard, quadrangle, square, close, enclosure, precinct, esplanadeView synonyms
- ‘In the centre of the lapa the mopane wood fire curled off its glorious smell of tropical Africa, and David crunched an iron pot into the embers - he was making his delicious mealie bread for a late night snack.’
- ‘Seating is offered under the lapas, around the bar (on unique lavatory seats), indoors or out in the garden.’
- ‘In the middle of the bush near Kruger National Park we sat down to dinner under the stars - a lapa organised by Kapama private game reserve.’
- ‘Board members, management and staff of the zoo, and guests from Bird Life South Africa and Sasol, gathered at a lapa adjoining the Sasol Wing of the bird enclosure, for the official launch of the booklet on 9 June.’
- ‘Cane chairs and tables are a favourite item in Namibian lapas.’
- ‘Here, on 2.8 hectares of prime real estate in Orlando West, people can rent one of the 10 self-catering bushveld-style lapas - available for the day - or hold conferences or functions.’
- ‘It's close to Windhoek, has a gorgeous view, a huge lapa and Houalet is prepared to go to extreme lengths to cater for any event and make it perfect!’
- ‘As you approach the place, you find men seating on chairs - all eating meat from the convenience of a thatch roof lapa.’
From Sotho lelapa.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.