One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the series of fifteen metallic elements from lanthanum to lutetium in the periodic table (atomic numbers 57–71).See also rare earth
- ‘The lanthanides make up the elements between barium and hafnium in Row 6 of the periodic table.’
- ‘Elements in this group are also known as the lanthanides after the first element in that group, lanthanum.’
- ‘Other particles containing yttria and some lanthanides are phosphors that be processed to form light-emitting devices.’
- ‘In such cases, a chelated lanthanide that is associated with one partner sensitizes an acceptor on a complementary partner when these species are within the typical Forster distance range of 3 to 9 nm.’
- ‘Indeed, to ‘flip’ acidic bicelles while maintaining well-ordered structures, only small concentrations of lanthanides can be added.’
1920s: from lanthanum + -ide.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.