Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the series of fifteen metallic elements from lanthanum to lutetium in the periodic table (atomic numbers 57–71).See also rare earth
- ‘Elements in this group are also known as the lanthanides after the first element in that group, lanthanum.’
- ‘In such cases, a chelated lanthanide that is associated with one partner sensitizes an acceptor on a complementary partner when these species are within the typical Forster distance range of 3 to 9 nm.’
- ‘Other particles containing yttria and some lanthanides are phosphors that be processed to form light-emitting devices.’
- ‘The lanthanides make up the elements between barium and hafnium in Row 6 of the periodic table.’
- ‘Indeed, to ‘flip’ acidic bicelles while maintaining well-ordered structures, only small concentrations of lanthanides can be added.’
1920s: from lanthanum + -ide.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.