Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another name for Bon
- ‘This mid-autumn festival has strong links with their harvest festival and coincides with the Lantern Festival, with red lanterns of all shapes in all Chinese settlements.’
- ‘The Lantern Festival that marks the commencement of the Chinese New Year would never have been considered even worth noting in New Zealand probably 5 years ago.’
- ‘Fifteen days later the Lantern Festival is celebrated and all of the city is illuminated with glowing ornate paper lanterns.’
- ‘The Lantern Festival, dengjie, takes place on the fifteenth day of the Lunar New Year and traditionally marks the end of New Year celebrations.’
- ‘The New Year festivities traditionally end the 15th day with a Lantern Festival.’
- ‘A menagerie of wicker animals will be bobbing through the streets of Ulverston this weekend for the annual arts spectacle that is the town's Lantern Festival.’
- ‘During the Lantern Festival, most temples are illuminated by colorful lanterns of all shapes and sizes.’
- ‘Starting during the Ming Dynasty, the Lantern Festival is still popular here today.’
- ‘Traditionally the Spring Festival does not end until the Lantern Festival - the 15th of the first lunar month, which falls on Tuesday this year.’
- ‘According to the public relations staff at the Shangri-La, the Lantern Festival was not a major festival, so the hotel had not prepared a special set menu.’
- ‘Had they bothered to read the submission for the Lantern Festival, they would have discovered it's for 2003.’
- ‘The fifteenth day of the year is the first full moon of the year and the magnificent Lantern Festival announces the formal end of the New Year festivities.’
- ‘Chen talked about the importance of culture and the cultural institutions he established as Taipei mayor, such as the Hakka Cultural Foundation, the Taipei Film Festival and the Lantern Festival.’
- ‘Also called the Lantern Festival, this event is an important traditional occasion, falling on the 15th day of the first month on the lunar calendar.’
- ‘Cr Diana Roberts said the urgency for the Herb Festival was clear, while the Lantern Festival and the Show did not have to be considered now.’
- ‘In Miyun County in Beijing on February 5, an accident set off an alarm bell on an overcrowded bridge in a park during the Lantern Festival and 37 people were killed in the crush.’
- ‘Everyone was friendly and easy to work with, and I'll be helping out next year for sure at both the Parade and at the Lantern Festival.’
- ‘The parade is held on the Lantern Festival, which ends a 15-day celebration of the Lunar New Year.’
- ‘The wonderful Lantern Festival, which we stepped aside for on this page last week, was an absolute delight.’
- ‘Two weeks ago I attended the Chinese Lantern Festival in Albert Park, with the Prime Minister.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.