One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who owns land, especially a large amount of land.
- ‘It will also be an offence for landowners to permit their land to be used for hunting.’
- ‘It should be no part of the plan that it is for private landowners to retain land effectively as a public reserve.’
- ‘One of the first programs instituted by the Japanese was land reform that made the landowner the sole owner.’
- ‘Would any local landowners like to write in and offer their land for this scheme?’
- ‘In areas that are privately owned, the council encourages the landowners to keep their land free from litter.’
- ‘Corsham Town Council is opposing a landowner who wants to use his industrial land for shredding motor tyres.’
- ‘A trespasser who enters another's land may cause the landowner no financial loss.’
- ‘They should only be ridden on private land with the landowner's consent.’
- ‘The bill still gives new powers to landowners to suspend rights of access to land and water for management reasons.’
- ‘She claimed that the landowner could have built his home on land further back from the road on land which he had now sold.’
- ‘Police are urging landowners to take care when burning heather on their land.’
- ‘The scheme was devised in response to a request from a landowner for projects to enhance the wildlife value of his land.’
- ‘A lot of landowners are careful about letting the hunt on their land because of repercussions.’
- ‘This is apart from the serious problems and costs it will cause landowners and land managers.’
- ‘He is a former landowner, whose lands had been included in an agricultural reform programme decades before.’
- ‘Upon the death of a landowner, land is divided in equal portions among the surviving children.’
- ‘Although it reduced the power of the landowner, small absentee landowners emerged.’
- ‘Sometimes, too, the commune would rent or purchase additional land from the landowner or from the state.’
- ‘A Bradford Council spokesman said legally only the landowner could apply to a court for possession of the land.’
- ‘The reality is that landowners will and do provide land for exactly these purposes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.