One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person unfamiliar with the sea or sailing.
- ‘The Enterprise is a vessel that defies the landlubber's imagination.’
- ‘On board, her computer brings a regular flow of e-mails sent through the website that tracks her progress - messages from friends, sailors, landlubbers and schoolchildren.’
- ‘People who care about ships and boats consistently call them ‘she’; the average person who's a landlubber might call a boat an ‘it’, but never a sailor.’
- ‘Ships' records, however, reveal this pioneering woman to have been a landlubber who was on board ship for just a month.’
- ‘The two landlubbers have never sailed before in their lives, although they are no strangers to danger as they share a passion for kickboxing.’
- ‘As with sailors and landlubbers, a lot of people can't understand why we can't be satisfied with staying safely on the ground.’
- ‘The landlubbers gathered at Gunwharf Quay and stepped aboard, nervously scanning the bright sky.’
- ‘But thanks to today's weather-resistant fabrics, even a landlubber's deck can sail into the comfort zone.’
- ‘When a number of us landlubbers became quite seasick, Victor decided it would be funny to capture the experience on film and began taking photos of his employees tossing their cookies overboard.’
- ‘The cleanup drew shoreside development, which, in turn, draws landlubbers to the waterfront every day.’
- ‘Also, we landlubbers called the Clearwater a schooner; it is a sloop.’
- ‘The idea of those two landlubbers sloshing off in that old wreck gave him nightmares.’
- ‘Large or small, landlubbers or seafarers or both, hermit crabs have one feature in common: they generally spend their lives inside the empty shells of snails or other mollusks.’
- ‘People who take to the water say they are happier than landlubbers, according to an online survey conducted by Impulse Research Corporation in December 2002 for the NMMA.’
- ‘Hawk's Cay Marina, also a full-service resort for landlubbers, has a dolphin program geared just for the shorter species among us.’
- ‘If building high-performance boats in the heart of the prairie seems unlikely, consider that most of the people making them are classic landlubbers, farmers to the core.’
- ‘Quite astoundingly, some salesman had convinced these overweight landlubbers from Essex that a watch which could tell the time below sea level was a must and said something about the type of people they were.’
- ‘Still, the result is an entertaining overview that can be recommended both to surfers and to landlubbers who appreciate the spectacle and have a fondness for the associated strand of American youth culture.’
- ‘While this DVD package would certainly be the answer to a shipwrecked castaways daily doldrums, most landlubbers will have difficulty finding their South Sea legs.’
- ‘While the sunset is a moment for quiet reflection for landlubbers like me, for the seamen it is the time for extra vigilance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.