One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The undercarriage of an aircraft.
- ‘The landing gear retracts in order to prevent interference with the radar.’
- ‘The all-metal aircraft had controls, armament, and even landing gears that were tucked away out of the slip stream to increase speed, range, and performance.’
- ‘You may get killed walking across the street when you can get hit by a landing gear falling from an aircraft.’
- ‘The designers, of course, figured the nose-wheel on the new tricycle landing gears also needed to be locked during take-offs and landings.’
- ‘It is thought the seat of the fire was in the landing gear under the aircraft's main fuselage.’
- ‘The machine shop is still finishing the components for the remaining landing gears, including a couple of minor mods to the wheels which will ease the installation of the tires.’
- ‘After a couple of hops I found out it was just the nature of the beast, due to the large wide plates on the front of the landing gear.’
- ‘When the airplane is clear of the ground, direct the co-pilot to retract and lock the landing gear.’
- ‘Well, the landing gear came through just fine but the airframe was badly bent!’
- ‘The aircraft is equipped with three-strut landing gear, a tail wheel and a brake parachute.’
- ‘I got a garden hose and washed off the landing gear and cleaned the plane as best I could.’
- ‘If so, were dispatchers involved in the decision to continue the flight with the landing gear extended?’
- ‘Soon the aircraft was sitting on its landing gear for the first time since 1995.’
- ‘This is no place to be 50 knots fast, throwing the landing gear down and wondering about the flaps.’
- ‘A long, slender fuselage was necessary to contain most of the fuel as well as the landing gear and payloads.’
- ‘This meant that the landing gear had to go into the fuselage which resulted in a narrow track.’
- ‘As the landing gear was being retracted, he felt a slight hesitation and mild backfire with the left engine.’
- ‘After a positive rate of climb was achieved, the landing gear was retracted.’
- ‘This procedure is commonly used for testing purposes to override the actual position of the landing gear.’
- ‘On touchdown, all three landing gears were sheared and the aircraft underside was substantially damaged.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.