One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boat specially designed for putting troops and military equipment ashore on a beach.
- ‘The first landing craft landed military vehicles that were subsequently damaged by mines.’
- ‘Many more never made it ashore because the landing craft beached too far out, and they drowned under the weight of the equipment they carried.’
- ‘Petrified soldiers bouncing through the sea in their landing craft towards the D-Day beaches must have been thinking the same too.’
- ‘The warship sent away a landing craft to pick up the sailors in the water.’
- ‘I had to do this while wearing battledress still soaked with seawater from when I waded ashore from the landing craft.’
- ‘The landing craft carrying the troops were meant to be lined up behind gun-boats.’
- ‘Many men were killed, especially at V Beach, where the improvised landing craft, the transport River Clyde, had been run ashore.’
- ‘The tanks and equipment were loaded in Darwin and the landing craft headed for Gawa arriving on November 6.’
- ‘The low humming from the engine of our landing craft was just audible over the chatter of the diggers she carried.’
- ‘He was lifted off the beach in a medical landing craft and flown back to England.’
- ‘Other shallow wrecks in the area accessible at slack water include a variety of smaller Mulberry components and an infantry landing craft.’
- ‘Jack saw action during the landing at Dove Bay in New Guinea and also on the Sepik River when his landing craft was hit by heavy enemy fire.’
- ‘My problem is that the film should start with the GIs leaving the landing craft and hitting the beach and finish with the assault on the German bunker.’
- ‘Logistics ship RFA Sir Percivale lowered a landing craft which towed the fishing boat to shallow water.’
- ‘Insufficient LVTs meant that back-up troops had to be ferried ashore in landing craft.’
- ‘Then I catch glimpses of a diver two feet in front of me tying a huge yellow floatation bag onto a sunken landing craft.’
- ‘One by one, the landing craft approached the shore and lowered their loading ramps.’
- ‘Flooding of the docking area is achieved by ballasting the stern of the ship, allowing the landing craft to float.’
- ‘Upon crossing the Sound to Port Howard, the troops climbed into an Army landing craft to be ferried to a nearby beach.’
- ‘The unexpected loss of these vehicles forced logisticians to unload landing craft and clear the beaches by hand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.