One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boat specially designed for putting troops and military equipment ashore on a beach.
- ‘The landing craft carrying the troops were meant to be lined up behind gun-boats.’
- ‘I had to do this while wearing battledress still soaked with seawater from when I waded ashore from the landing craft.’
- ‘My problem is that the film should start with the GIs leaving the landing craft and hitting the beach and finish with the assault on the German bunker.’
- ‘The unexpected loss of these vehicles forced logisticians to unload landing craft and clear the beaches by hand.’
- ‘Jack saw action during the landing at Dove Bay in New Guinea and also on the Sepik River when his landing craft was hit by heavy enemy fire.’
- ‘Many more never made it ashore because the landing craft beached too far out, and they drowned under the weight of the equipment they carried.’
- ‘Then I catch glimpses of a diver two feet in front of me tying a huge yellow floatation bag onto a sunken landing craft.’
- ‘The low humming from the engine of our landing craft was just audible over the chatter of the diggers she carried.’
- ‘Logistics ship RFA Sir Percivale lowered a landing craft which towed the fishing boat to shallow water.’
- ‘Upon crossing the Sound to Port Howard, the troops climbed into an Army landing craft to be ferried to a nearby beach.’
- ‘The warship sent away a landing craft to pick up the sailors in the water.’
- ‘Petrified soldiers bouncing through the sea in their landing craft towards the D-Day beaches must have been thinking the same too.’
- ‘Insufficient LVTs meant that back-up troops had to be ferried ashore in landing craft.’
- ‘Flooding of the docking area is achieved by ballasting the stern of the ship, allowing the landing craft to float.’
- ‘Many men were killed, especially at V Beach, where the improvised landing craft, the transport River Clyde, had been run ashore.’
- ‘The tanks and equipment were loaded in Darwin and the landing craft headed for Gawa arriving on November 6.’
- ‘Other shallow wrecks in the area accessible at slack water include a variety of smaller Mulberry components and an infantry landing craft.’
- ‘He was lifted off the beach in a medical landing craft and flown back to England.’
- ‘One by one, the landing craft approached the shore and lowered their loading ramps.’
- ‘The first landing craft landed military vehicles that were subsequently damaged by mines.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.