One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A wind-powered wheeled vehicle with sails, used for recreation and sport.
- ‘Last night they were racing a land yacht over the aerodrome until nearly midnight and Kraig was out on the quad racer until I came and spoiled his fun (must hide those keys).’
- ‘School principal Barbara Glenister said the land yachts were a ‘visual spectacle’.’
- ‘In 2003, his Windjet land yacht broke a speed record, reaching 113 mph on ice.’
- ‘The CPS has had to establish what legal status a sail powered land yacht comes under and investigate ancient by-laws covering the use of the beach and the legal responsibilities of the club and the council.’
- ‘In 1962, he was invited to join Rotary, where he passed on his ideas for the madcap Henley-on-Todd Regatta, which had sprung from an idea for a land yacht at the infrequently used airstrip in the early days.’
- ‘In the 1830s, he reputedly travelled often by land yacht, which raises the issue of customary rights.’
- 1.1North American informal A very large car.‘the bechromed land yachts of the 1950's’
- ‘Throughout the 1950s and '60s, Americans were enjoying the golden age of the behemoth land yacht - the age of the Cadillac Sedan DeVille and the Lincoln Town Car - that signaled a different sense of self than the SUV.’
- ‘As I exited, that telltale blue land yacht that was Daniel's car pulled up.’
- ‘The U.S. Treasury is subsidizing the purchase of these 11-miles-per-gallon land yachts.’
- ‘While running errands the other day I pulled up behind a vintage, red, convertible Cadillac land yacht.’
- ‘But criticism of the 19-foot-long, 12-miles-per-gallon land yacht hasn't waned.’
- ‘And when the ladies' lumbering land yacht runs out of petrol, they coincidentally find themselves at Bradley's doorstep.’
- ‘They're way too comfortable making unreliable chrome-encrusted land yachts that people buy out of habit and fear.’
- ‘About the same time, traveling in the other direction, a cream-colored land yacht cruised past.’
- ‘Some fire up the Winnebago to head south as fast as their land yacht can take them, while snowmobilers and cross country skiers rejoice at the new season bringing the chance to enjoy their favorite form of winter recreation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.