One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A robber or highwayman.
bandit, brigand, robber, outlaw, ruffian, desperado, plunderer, marauder, raider, ravager, pillager, freebooter, criminal, thug, gangsterView synonyms
- ‘These successive biographies provide a capsule history of popular views of criminals, for they manifest an increasing sympathy with the land pirate.’
- ‘His burden is made all the heavier by the difficulty of keeping the charming outlaw Macheath, at this point a roving land pirate, confined in Newgate Prison long enough to be hanged’
- ‘The broadside published in 1881 characterized the family as "money-mongerers, userers, and land pirates."’
- ‘In the late 1700s Jeremiah Smith began to become the man the world would eventually know as Fire Island's most notorious land pirate.’
- ‘He was nicknamed Chieftain because he looked more like a Viking warrior than a captain of land pirates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.