One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a woman doing farm work, especially during the Second World War.
- ‘Joyce, 73, who was a land girl, met Bob, 71, who was a farm worker, at a dance at Howden in 1950.’
- ‘Pat H has vivid memories of her years as a land girl.’
- ‘She was helped by Joss, nine, and Wanda Criswell, six, whose great grandmother served as a land girl and whose grandfather took part in the D Day landings of 1944.’
- ‘Janet worked as a land girl at a wage of one pound a week.’
- ‘And this is the first time, since she was orphaned at the age of 11, that Linda, 55, the daughter of a Southampton land girl, has held anything that belonged to her parents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.