One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slender pointed arched window.
- ‘It receives no natural lighting from behind, and has to compete with a lancet window immediately to its east side.’
- ‘Back in 1150 there were 12 nuns and a prioress, now there's the delight of the ‘finest stained glass in the West Riding’, three lancet windows by William Morris, gorgeous Pre-Raphaelite faces framed in foliage.’
- ‘Above the door he had also paid for a lancet window consisting of a representation of Jacob and the appropriate words: ‘This is the House of God, and this is the Gate of Heaven.’’
- ‘The rattling, down-at-heel, overcrowded buildings pleased me better than any grassy quad or lancet window.’
- ‘The lancet windows depict scenes from the life of Christ and are wonderful examples of Harry Clarke's rare genius.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.