One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Shaped like a lance head; of a narrow oval shape tapering to a point at each end.‘lanceolate leaves’
sharp, spear-like, needle-like, spear-shaped, v-shaped, tapering, tapered, cone-shaped, conic, conical, acute, sharp-cornered, wedge-shaped, sharp-edged, edged, jagged, spiky, spiked, barbedView synonyms
- ‘The lanceolate tail fin with the many-rayed upper and lower margins and central little supplementary fin projecting beyond the fin margin distinguishes Latimeria from all other living fishes.’
- ‘A large evergreen shrub that grows to to 20 ft or more, the Chilean fire bush has narrow lanceolate leaves, up to 6in long.’
- ‘They bear bipinnate leaves with small, oval to lanceolate leaflets.’
- ‘A tapering, strongly lanceolate to ovate frond attached to a basal disc by a cylindrical stem.’
- ‘A few cultivars from the United States and Asia have distinctive narrow or lanceolate leaflets.’
Mid 18th century: from late Latin lanceolatus, from Latin lanceola, diminutive of lancea ‘a lance’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.