One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Even when there is no strict livery, the pressure towards a uniform is felt in every country sport, right down to the flak jacket, army boots and peaked cap of the lamper.’
- ‘Detectives investigating the shooting of a Yorkshire schoolboy aged 12 in an area popular with night-time hunters known as ‘lampers’ have arrested and bailed four men.’
- ‘Like grouse shooters, fox hunters, lampers, hare coursers, badger baiters and of course meat eaters, anglers do what they do simply because they enjoy doing it.’
- ‘Police are working on the theory the boy was accidentally shot by ‘lampers’ - night-time hunters who pursue animals with guns and bright lights.’
- ‘A second schoolboy lay fighting for his life last night after apparently being shot by ‘lampers’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.