One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A black pigment made from soot.
- ‘Until recent times, scriptures were inscribed on these flat, oblong leaves using a stylus and lampblack.’
- ‘The vast majority of black pigments consist of finely divided particles of carbon-carbon black or lampblack.’
- ‘Indian or Chinese ink is essentially lampblack (carbon ink) which is mixed with gum and resin and hardened by baking.’
- ‘Mr Seracini said Da Vinci created the under-drawing as an underpainting because he used a brush and a mixture of lampblack and watery glue.’
- ‘The firm bought and sold fancy goods, sheet iron, iron and brass nails, slate boards and other slate products, lampblack and resin, and children's toys made of wood and papier-mache.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.