One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A square of sponge cake dipped in melted chocolate and grated coconut.
- ‘I have a shocking sweet tooth (which the baby has apparently inherited) and now I'm absolutely lusting after lamingtons.’
- ‘Chocolate mousse, lemon meringue pie and Australia's own special lamingtons were definite hits of the night.’
- ‘And although I was temporarily lacking the funds to buy something, I left with a tummy full of delicious lamingtons.’
- ‘We had a nice tour of the Sydney Art Gallery and drank coffee while I sampled lamingtons, one of the tasty Australian desserts.’
- ‘I've being baking scones and lamingtons just to get in the mood.’
- ‘After an hour of on-and-off chit-chat and with our supply of lamingtons fast dwindling we decide to cut the poor kids loose.’
Apparently from the name of Lord Lamington, Governor of Queensland (1895–1901).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.