Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
noun & adjectiveUS
Used to refer contemptuously to the mainstream media.as adjective ‘why has the lamestream media been so silent on the issue?’‘lamestream propaganda’as noun ‘the lamestream is entirely opposed to what normal Americans want’
normal, conventional, ordinary, orthodox, conformist, accepted, established, recognized, common, usual, prevailing, popularView synonyms
- ‘The lamestream media is still making excuses.’
- ‘He obviously hasn't done his homework, yet goes on lamestream TV to demonstrate to the world his complete ignorance.’
- ‘Why has the lamestream media been so silent on the issue?’
- ‘Nobody in the lamestream media bothers to explain all the intricacies of Fiji's political life.’
- ‘Most of the lamestream is acting as if the talks are real.’
- ‘Did you see any of these pictures on the lamestream news? Of course not.’
- ‘Even the lamestream is burying the confession.’
- ‘If the lamestream news did its job informing people, the Patriot Act would have got shot down in Congress.’
- ‘The lamestream is blowing this all out of proportion.’
- ‘The lamestream media is going to spin their stories and give us false newscasts.’
Early 21st century: blend of lame and mainstream.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.