Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Fine, soft wool from lambs, used to make knitted garments, blankets, etc.‘natural materials such as lambswool’as modifier ‘a white lambswool cardigan’
- ‘The natty funnel-neck jumpers in cashmere or lambswool will transform your man into the epitome of understated cool.’
- ‘They include green cloth upholstered seats instead of the usual black leather and light green lambswool rugs and rosewood trim.’
- ‘In disgust, dumped all the old stock and, when I got into town, walked along to Marks & Spencer and reloaded my wardrobe with some nice soft lambswool socks.’
- ‘The Lyle & Scott lambswool jumpers this season come in beautiful shades such as dewberry, sea mist and angel pink.’
- ‘My fur-lined black leather ankle boots served well to keep my feet warm, and I put my red lambswool winter hat in my bag before leaving and wrapped the matching scarf around my neck.’
- ‘Design at the Granary also carries a large range of Johnstons of Scotland cashmere and lambswool, homeware and knitware.’
- ‘The nicest quality autumn poncho I have seen is a soft lambswool angora mix one by Autograph, selling in selected Marks and Spencer stores and retailing at about £49.’
- ‘Morgan sent her a look and slipped into his well worn, lambswool slippers.’
- ‘Recently, high-street retailers such as Gap, French Connection and Burtons have been selling cashmere, cashmere mix or ‘synthetic cashmere’ sweaters at prices you'd normally expect to pay for a lambswool V-neck at Marks & Spencer.’
- ‘I'd bought new slippers, leather with lambswool inserts and I eased them on.’
- ‘So the hope does exist, but Morrison refuses to reveal whether Sethe has begun to heal or whether, as she lies under the quilt singing of lambswool and jackweed much as Baby speculated about color in her last days, she simply waits to die.’
- ‘I'll be working with new summer-weight yarns and new styles - socks, shawls, cashmere and lambswool sweaters, even hairbands.’
- ‘The French of my age were stuck in knee-length kilts and lambswool turtlenecks.’
- ‘The textile art piece in the below picture is designed from lambswool fabric.’
- ‘For super snoozing luxury, you can go for a Travel Comfortable pillow cover in lambswool or possum fur (a pillow with possum fur cover costs $50.95).’
- ‘Mulesing, which the Australian government has said it will ban in 2010, is carried out to stop blowfly laying eggs in lambswool, as the flesh-eating maggots which emerge can fatally wound the animals.’
- ‘Let the finish dry for a week before buffing with a hard paste wax or lambswool pad.’
- ‘The beds are huge and very comfortable and Angora and lambswool rugs are available on request.’
- ‘Their silk and lambswool blanket has silk borders on all four sides.’
- ‘Men, especially middle-aged or elderly men, still wear traditional lambswool hats.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.