Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Fine, soft wool from lambs, used to make knitted garments, blankets, etc.‘natural materials such as lambswool’[as modifier] ‘a white lambswool cardigan’
- ‘The French of my age were stuck in knee-length kilts and lambswool turtlenecks.’
- ‘The Lyle & Scott lambswool jumpers this season come in beautiful shades such as dewberry, sea mist and angel pink.’
- ‘They include green cloth upholstered seats instead of the usual black leather and light green lambswool rugs and rosewood trim.’
- ‘So the hope does exist, but Morrison refuses to reveal whether Sethe has begun to heal or whether, as she lies under the quilt singing of lambswool and jackweed much as Baby speculated about color in her last days, she simply waits to die.’
- ‘The textile art piece in the below picture is designed from lambswool fabric.’
- ‘Let the finish dry for a week before buffing with a hard paste wax or lambswool pad.’
- ‘Men, especially middle-aged or elderly men, still wear traditional lambswool hats.’
- ‘Their silk and lambswool blanket has silk borders on all four sides.’
- ‘Recently, high-street retailers such as Gap, French Connection and Burtons have been selling cashmere, cashmere mix or ‘synthetic cashmere’ sweaters at prices you'd normally expect to pay for a lambswool V-neck at Marks & Spencer.’
- ‘I'll be working with new summer-weight yarns and new styles - socks, shawls, cashmere and lambswool sweaters, even hairbands.’
- ‘In disgust, dumped all the old stock and, when I got into town, walked along to Marks & Spencer and reloaded my wardrobe with some nice soft lambswool socks.’
- ‘My fur-lined black leather ankle boots served well to keep my feet warm, and I put my red lambswool winter hat in my bag before leaving and wrapped the matching scarf around my neck.’
- ‘The natty funnel-neck jumpers in cashmere or lambswool will transform your man into the epitome of understated cool.’
- ‘For super snoozing luxury, you can go for a Travel Comfortable pillow cover in lambswool or possum fur (a pillow with possum fur cover costs $50.95).’
- ‘Design at the Granary also carries a large range of Johnstons of Scotland cashmere and lambswool, homeware and knitware.’
- ‘Morgan sent her a look and slipped into his well worn, lambswool slippers.’
- ‘The beds are huge and very comfortable and Angora and lambswool rugs are available on request.’
- ‘Mulesing, which the Australian government has said it will ban in 2010, is carried out to stop blowfly laying eggs in lambswool, as the flesh-eating maggots which emerge can fatally wound the animals.’
- ‘The nicest quality autumn poncho I have seen is a soft lambswool angora mix one by Autograph, selling in selected Marks and Spencer stores and retailing at about £49.’
- ‘I'd bought new slippers, leather with lambswool inserts and I eased them on.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.