Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Prepared skin from a lamb with the wool on or as leather.[as modifier] ‘lambskin gloves’
- ‘All of this activity came to a halt when Karzai, dressed in his flowing green silk coat and black lambskin hat, approached the microphone.’
- ‘He showed very strong suits, pairing them with stretch tank tops, lambskin zip vests, and great looking feather weight merino - cashmere ribbed sweaters.’
- ‘Other early materials were parchment, made from the untanned skins of sheep or goats and vellum, or fine parchment, made from calf-, kid-, and lambskin.’
- ‘If you want something really luxurious, consider Mulberry's black leather lambskin gloves with rabbit-fur lining.’
- ‘Of the 104 items added to the collection, one of the more interesting is a Russian winter coat with Persian lambskin lining donated by Albert Schwarz.’
- ‘I need more material, just like this if possible, or lambskin; nothing too stiff.’
- ‘Condoms may be made of latex, lambskin or polyurethane.’
- ‘He touched it, feeling the sculpted steel underneath the thin lambskin covering.’
- ‘Two lounge chairs with lambskin backs and seats feature whipstitching details.’
- ‘Wearing a black lambskin hat and traditional striped silk coat over his shoulders, Mr. Karzai took his oath before the aging former king, Zaher Shah.’
- ‘Avoid waterbeds, lambskins, and other soft bedding for your baby.’
- ‘Men wear several types of hats according to season; black or grey elongated lambskin hats are customary during the winter and straw hats are usually worn during the summer.’
- ‘Merchants crowded around the entrance, some waving papers to get attention, others with a lambskin or a clay tablet with orders written on it.’
- ‘Karzai's wardrobe - lambskin hat, black and green cape, loose-fitting trousers - seems an Isaac Mizrahi version of traditional Afghan garb.’
- ‘Suede is simply the inside layer of a cowhide, pig or lambskin with a napped finish and the same rules of measurement apply.’
- ‘Another distributor included stunning examples of cashmere and lambskin jackets on the trade show floor at a corporate industry association trade show.’
- ‘Animal rights activists in Great Britain and elsewhere are launching new protests against astrakhan, lambskin derived from lambs that are killed shortly after birth and, activists claim, in some cases before they are born.’
- ‘And so there Miss Johnson sat, rigid with disbelief as two of her least subservient students gazed into her watery eyes and grinned wolfishly beneath little lambskin cloaks.’
- ‘Addressing the nation, Karzai, wearing a white traditional tunic and his trademark lambskin hat, paid homage to those who had died fighting Soviet occupation in the 1980s.’
- ‘Of course, the more luxurious bags are made from skins that range from lambskin to ostrich.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.