One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The eleventh letter of the Greek alphabet (Λ, λ), transliterated as ‘l’.
- ‘Clearest are the differences between alphas, epsilons, and lambdas.’
- ‘The cosmological constant, which Einstein signified by the Greek letter lambda, made it so.’
- ‘For example, in the modern version, beta is veta or vita; delta is thelta; zeta is zita; eta is ita; theta is thita; lambda is lamvtha; tau is taf.’
- ‘Einstein's 1917 refinement of his equations of gravity included a new term - denoted by the Greek letter lambda - in which his model universe neither expands nor contracts.’
- ‘Before the suspense gets too much for everyone, I'll reveal the secrets of the symbol above - it's the lower-case Greek letter lambda.’
- 1.1Astronomy followed by Latin genitive The eleventh star in a constellation.‘Lambda Tauri’
- 1.2Biology A type of bacteriophage virus used in genetic research.as modifier ‘lambda phage’
- ‘The second class of vectors are derived from the bacteriophage (bacterial virus) lambda.’
- ‘The diagram below at right shows a virus that attacks bacteria, known as the lambda bacteriophage, which measures roughly 200 nanometers.’
- ‘The sequence of the lambda and phiX174 bacteriophages9 provided the initial confidence booster for undertaking this project.’
- ‘Evidence that PP may play a dominant role in UV-induced transition mutagenesis has been obtained for bacteria and lambda phage.’
- ‘Also, it is the surface receptor of the virus, bacteriophage lambda.’
- 1.3Anatomy The point at the back of the skull where the parietal bones and the occipital bone meet.
- ‘These were in the following: lambda, parietal eminence, asterion, and occipital torus.’
- ‘Berry found sutural bones in 19th century Londoners in the vicinity of the lambda in 28.7% of men and 17.1% of women.’
- 1.4Biochemistry as modifier Denoting one of the two types of light polypeptide chain present in all immunoglobulin molecules (the other being kappa).
- ‘Immunohistochemistry is noncontributory, and the granular material may nonspecifically stain positively with a host of antibodies, including immunoglobulin A, IgG, IgM, K light chain, lambda light chain, and complement.’
- ‘In addition, numerous plasmacytoid lymphocytes showed strong cytoplasmic staining for IgM and kappa light chains and negative reaction for lambda light chains.’
- ‘Immunohistochemical studies revealed lambda light chain restriction in the neoplastic follicles.’
- ‘As in most reported cases of CDS + B-CLL cells, our patient showed only lambda light chains on the surface of B cells.’
- ‘A slight predominance of lambda light chains was recorded.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.