Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hundred thousand.‘they fixed the price at five lakhs of rupees’→ lac
- ‘Lak's well-liked, though, so expect this to sell in thousands, if not in lakhs.’
- ‘Typhoid accounts for over 16 million cases annually with an estimated six lakhs death.’
- ‘The media focused on Dhananjoy's fate but not on the fate of lakhs of women who live in the shadow of death every minute of the day, every day.’
- ‘On top of the brick fort there were two thousand lakhs of demon soldiers walking with their bows and arrows.’
- ‘Of this, Rs 60 lakhs was used to create infrastructure and train local people in capturing the animals.’
- ‘It had so far spent Rs.6.66 lakhs on community service projects this year.’
- ‘A third lift, this time on block A3, is also under repair at a cost of Rs.3.60 lakhs.’
- ‘Its full name was Nagar Thatta - the city, with a population of three lakhs.’
- ‘This national award is presented each year in Delhi and its cash component has now been enhanced to Rs.2 lakhs.’
- ‘On July 26, lakhs of Mumbaikars went to work, to school and college as they would on any normal monsoon day.’
- ‘In addition to that, Mr. Sathe had investments in fixed deposits amounting to Rs. 5 lakhs.’
- ‘This is the biggest growth area in IT and will generate lakhs or even millions of new jobs for the non-IT people..’
- ‘This minor aberration had made Kachori richer by a few hundred lakhs.’
- ‘Two hundred lakhs have been given to Kandy and two hundred and fifty lakhs to develop Kalutara and Ratnapura.’
- ‘The extensive collection on display is in a price range of Rs.100 to Rs.3 lakhs.’
- ‘Today it gets an annual grant of Rs.20 lakhs from the Tamil Nadu Government, but this is hardly enough.’
- ‘The 733rd draw of the scheme will be held on May 10 and the first prize is Rs.20 lakhs.’
- ‘Maybe the toll would be in lakhs, as seen during the Asian Tsunami.’
- ‘The grant of about Rs.25 lakhs would help to improve infrastructure and add three dialysis machines.’
- ‘If you calculate the whole thing then this graft works out to thousands and lakhs of rupees.’
Via Hindi from Sanskrit lakṣa.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.