Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Paper that has a finely ribbed appearance.Compare with wove paper
- ‘Accordingly, in Untitled (Study for Moby Dick), Baziotes exploits the texture of the laid paper, accepting the random variations in color density produced by rubbing the pastel over the rough surface.’
- ‘It consists of brush and brown washes, with a touch of red chalk [and black crayon] on laid paper, mounted on pink paper’
- ‘Those of you who are new to the subject of Chinese propaganda posters and are flirting with a purchase, should know that the paper quality is not comparable to laid paper of the type ‘Rives BK’ used for upper Western art prints.’
- ‘The artists use a thicker paper - everything from laid paper, offset paper to a very thick, cardboard-like paper.’
- ‘All paper before the late 18th century is laid paper, namely paper made from a mesh with rag pulp.’
- ‘A blue-and-brown nimbus attends the cavity, as layered oil pastel and graphite reveals the woodlike vertical grain of the laid paper overleaf.’
- ‘It is an original woodcut printed in black ink on thin laid paper bearing the Escutcheon with Diagonal Beam watermark.’
- ‘It is etching and drypoint on heavy laid paper, with a dated watermark of 1742.’
- ‘The fraktur painting is on laid paper typical of the nineteenth century and its design perfectly fits the unusual shape of the pocket.’
- ‘The work consists of pen, ink and gray wash drawing on cream colored laid paper.’
- ‘This measure greatly improved the appearance of the laid paper and gave Whatman a vital clue for improving the wove.’
- ‘The portrait is drawn on a sheet of unprepared light-brown laid paper chiefly in black and red chalk, with some slight touches of white in the boy's hair and on the feathers in his hat, and brown chalk in his irises.’
- ‘Comparisons of paintings on wove versus laid paper will also be on view, including works by Gainsborough and John ‘Warwick’ Smith.’
- ‘True hand made laid paper does have some natural irregularity in appearance, not evident in machine made wove paper.’
- ‘Any type of true watermark can be created within either laid or wove paper, but it is best to use only a single wire watermark in laid paper due to the competition the laid pattern gives to any watermark design.’
- ‘Alternately, crayon is drawn lightly over laid paper so that its minute ridges pattern the color, as in fingerprints.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.