One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an indigenous people of south-western China and Laos.
- ‘In addition to the Shans, numerous other ethnic groups live in the Shan state, mainly in the hills: Palaungs, Pa-Os, Was, Lahus, Akhas, and other tribal people, as well as the Kokang Chinese.’
- ‘Many Lahu were once animists who converted to Christianity after contact with missionaries.’
- ‘In the early 20th century Christianity was introduced, and many Lahu decided to follow that as well.’
- ‘It was after they had consumed the last host, that the Lahu fled to the camps in Thailand.’
- ‘The Lahu, Red Karen, and White Karen represented matrilocal societies.’
- ‘Traditional clothing of the Lahu is black with bold embroidered patterns and bands of cloth for decoration.’
- ‘Geddes' master plan was for there to be studies of each of the ‘six main hill tribes’, identified as Hmong, Yao, Karen, Lisu, Lahu and Akha.’
- ‘He was Delmos J. Jones, who was then with the CUNY Graduate Center and who I had known in Thailand while he was doing fieldwork amongst the Lahu.’
- ‘Shelby Tucker has examined ethnic and cultural diversities and mentioned the social and cultural milieu of the Kokangs, Was, Akhas, Lahus, Karens, Rakhines, Chins, Kachins and Mons in the backdrop of ethnic Burmans.’
- ‘There are also significant numbers of Chin, Kachin, Kayah, Pao, Palaung, Lahu, Wa, and Rohingya.’
2mass noun The Tibeto-Burman language of the Lahu.
- ‘Chinese-style topic constructions are widespread in Chinese, Japanese, Korean and some South-East Asian languages like Lahu, Lisu, and Zhuang.’
- ‘After 1958, newly revised Jingpo, Lisu, and Lahu written languages were still offered along with Chinese in schools and literacy classes in rural areas, while in urban schools Chinese basically replaced them.’
- ‘In the following years, the written languages of Bai, Bouyei, Dong, Hani, Naxi, Lisu, Lahu, Va, Zaiwa, Miao, and Xibei were also readopted.’
- ‘The first wave of revision affected eight writing systems: Kazak, Kirgiz, and Uygur, based on the Arabic script; Jingpo, Lahu, and Miao, based on the Roman alphabet; and Dai, based on the Indic script.’
Relating to the Lahu or their language.
- ‘All the other Lahu tribes have supplemented their traditional costumes by sarong and Thai shirt.’
- ‘Some are from the Akha, Karen, or Lawa minorities, but most come from the Lahu hill tribe.’
- ‘The book Chopsticks Only Work in Pairs by Shanshan Du details the near ideal gender equity among Lahu communities.’
- ‘The Lahu Shehleh also call themselves Black Lahu but customs and dialect are different to the Lahu Na.’
- ‘In type 2 communities, the monopolistic stage slowed down progress in literacy development, and even saw a rise in illiteracy in Yi and Lahu communities during the Cultural Revolution.’
The name in Lahu.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.