One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Something given as a bonus or gratuity.
reward, prize, award, recompense, remuneration, commission, consideration, premium, dividend, bonus, endowment, gratuity, tip, favour, donation, handoutView synonyms
- ‘I was introduced to blue board when I participated in decorating a set for the drama department - a little lagniappe or something extra, as we say in New Orleans.’
- ‘Having the Te Deum added is a wonderful lagniappe.’
- ‘The 103,91 Game 4 blowout was a lagniappe for the Lakers.’
- ‘They are asking $20.00 for each two-disc set and will throw in a lagniappe for anyone who orders both sets: the US Premiere of Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky!’
- ‘I would have recommended this disc if the only thing on it was the Sibelius but you get two lagniappes.’
- ‘Visitors to the altars are often given lagniappe (a sack of cookies and fava beans, a good luck charm) to take home.’
- ‘However, where Horowitz gives you mainly patrician elegance, Moravec seems to give you the lagniappe of something deeply felt as well, without wallowing in it.’
- ‘The course gives her this and, yes, a little lagniappe.’
- ‘As a nice bit of lagniappe, Pierian provides comparison recordings: Granados playing his own ‘free transcription’ of a Scarlatti sonata in a Welte-Mignon roll and an acoustic recording made at roughly the same time.’
- ‘The couplings are lagniappes but damn good ones.’
- ‘Nobody, but nobody did Debussy better than Stokowski and it is nice to have these lagniappes appended to the Holst.’
- ‘The complete contents of Volume 2 are preserved on this CD, with ‘The Walk to the Paradise Garden’ thrown in as a lagniappe.’
- ‘On the other hand, while this is a lagniappe much appreciated, you probably wouldn't purchase the set just for this 6-minute piece.’
- ‘The Butterworth is a nice lagniappe, but the main course is also the main reason for stopping by.’
- ‘That pearl of perspicacity was merely a lagniappe, an amuse-bouche to prepare our palates for the big revelation, to wit Spielberg's new project ‘aimed at tackling that lack of understanding’.’
- ‘If your company works to provide service and value to its customers and to generate repeat business, lagniappe is the way to build customer loyalty.’
- ‘So, by way, of lagniappe, here's something I forgot to include: a mysterious volume that came to light during my extended bout of book-clearing.’
- ‘Vengeance for Niña and Allis would be a lagniappe.’
- ‘From time to time, Sakurai-san would surprise us with a lagniappe of asparagus wrapped in beef or some similar tidbit.’
- ‘Lines of printed text were crossed out, and handwritten lagniappe, such as ‘temporal simultaneity’ and ‘space-time inversion null,’ had been added.’
Louisiana French, from Spanish la ñapa.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.