One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Material providing heat insulation for a water tank, pipes, etc.
unhurried, leisurely, measured, moderate, deliberate, steady, sedate, slow-moving, slow-going, easy, relaxed, unrushed, gentle, undemanding, comfortableView synonyms
- ‘The engine appears mostly intact, but all the wood is rotten and asbestos lagging is still on the boiler.’
- ‘The sprayed asbestos particularly and the asbestos lagging to pipework was in an unsatisfactory condition in 1994.’
- ‘In January 1998 the asbestos lagging to pipework was in an unsatisfactory condition.’
- ‘There was new wooden lagging on her right hand cylinder, but no jacketing, and the front head and piston had been removed.’
- ‘There seems to have been no lagging, and the heat loss must have been great, by radiation, or, in wet weather, condensation when it was wet.’
- ‘The foam lagging was so wet he had to wring the water out.’
- ‘The lagging will then cushion any further movement of the pipes that will occur.’
- ‘Even after primitive use of crude lagging gave way to a more general use of preformed asbestos block insulation, such blocks were cut dry which could actually enhance dust production.’
- ‘He would then work on the new pipe run and the laggers would come along the same day or the next day to put new lagging on the new pipework.’
- ‘To them the pipe lagging was a plaything, a source of fun.’
- ‘I generally knocked off the asbestos lagging myself rather than wait for laggers and scalers to get there.’
- ‘However if the boards were taken away and if some of the lagging were to be removed, it might be okay.’
- ‘Jerry Jennings, property assets manager at Braintree Council, said the lagging, which is material which prevents loss of heat, had deteriorated through wear and tear.’
- ‘He claims that, while working as a labourer removing lagging from pipes in the Basement of Leinster House between 1986 and 1990, he was exposed to large quantities of asbestos.’
- ‘They are about water-lagging - putting lagging around water pipes to retain heating - and about energy conservation.’
- ‘The lagging needs to be taken off and the boiler certified every two years.’
- ‘It was used as insulation on the pipe lagging which ran throughout the factory and there was also asbestos in the roof.’
- ‘Anything from boiler and pipe lagging, to roofing materials and ceiling tiles, water pipes, or cement products could have been made with the mineral.’
- ‘As far as I know asbestos was in the pipe lagging and in the boiler house and all that was stripped out.’
Mid 19th century: from lag.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.