One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small beetle with a domed back, typically red or yellow with black spots; a ladybird. Both the adults and larvae are important predators of aphids.
- ‘The larvae of ladybugs and green lacewings are also hunters of small, soft-bodied insect pests.’
- ‘After the read aloud, the text was extended as children examined pictures of a cricket, a ground beetle, and ladybugs, and they made comments and comparisons.’
- ‘Green lacewings, like ladybugs, diminish aphid and mealybug populations, as well as thrips.’
- ‘We're building habitats to encourage birds, butterflies, dragonflies and ladybugs to our gardens.’
- ‘They are multicolored Asian ladybugs or ladybird beetles, first introduced to the southern United States to control aphids.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.