Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small beetle with a domed back which is typically red or yellow with black spots. Both the adults and larvae are important predators of aphids.Called ladybug in North America
- ‘There is at least one example where PA accumulated by aphids from their host plant are in turn sequestered by the aphid's predator, ladybird beetles.’
- ‘Like many of our endemic species of ladybirds, these beetles have handsome red-and-black coloration.’
- ‘For me, bumble-bees and ladybirds are not the only signs of spring.’
- ‘Many insects, such as ground beetles, hoverflies and ladybirds, can keep pests under control - but not if they've been destroyed by chemical sprays.’
- ‘Useful insects include silkworms and ladybirds that predate upon aphids.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.