Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small beetle with a domed back which is typically red or yellow with black spots. Both the adults and larvae are important predators of aphids.Called ladybug in North America
- ‘Like many of our endemic species of ladybirds, these beetles have handsome red-and-black coloration.’
- ‘Useful insects include silkworms and ladybirds that predate upon aphids.’
- ‘For me, bumble-bees and ladybirds are not the only signs of spring.’
- ‘Many insects, such as ground beetles, hoverflies and ladybirds, can keep pests under control - but not if they've been destroyed by chemical sprays.’
- ‘There is at least one example where PA accumulated by aphids from their host plant are in turn sequestered by the aphid's predator, ladybird beetles.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.