Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A female lover or sweetheart.‘he was delivering chocolates to his lady-love’
girlfriend, girl, sweetheart, partner, significant other, inamorata, fiancéeView synonyms
- ‘Would-be knights in shining armour will be jousting for the affections of their lady-loves in tournaments harking back to the days of King Arthur.’
- ‘According to this system of morals and manners, a knight was to remain faithful to God, loyal to his king, true to his lady-love, and helpful to their less fortunate kinsmen.’
- ‘And I remember how he once scandalised us all by leaving a Test series in Australia to pursue his lady-love, a famous belly dancer.’
- ‘Ryu was once another man, Takuto, who was killed in an accident with his lady-love Maki, but has been resurrected by a would-be Mephistopheles with a sinister agenda.’
- ‘Nicholas' message was just very formal, like a man requesting the approval of his lady-love's guardian.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.