One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An orchid of north temperate regions, the flower of which has a conspicuous pouch- or slipper-shaped lip.Also called slipper orchid
- ‘The North American pink lady's slipper orchid flowers during the springtime flight of the queen bumblebee.’
- ‘In early spring, the park is blanketed with wildflowers, including violets, may apples, spring beauties, and lady's slipper orchids.’
- ‘Mr Lang, a retired veterinary surgeon, says he can still remember the thrill of seeing the lady's slipper in Yorkshire, long before it had to be heavily guarded.’
- ‘Among the natural wonders that should be protected are stag beetles, and ramshorn snails; habitats including salt meadows and oak woods; and rare plants such as the lady's slipper orchid.’
- ‘It was a tiny humming bird; he was sampling the vintages from a clump of daffodils, foxglove, trillium, and lady's slipper.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.