One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An orchid of north temperate regions, the flower of which has a conspicuous pouch- or slipper-shaped lip.Also called slipper orchid
- ‘It was a tiny humming bird; he was sampling the vintages from a clump of daffodils, foxglove, trillium, and lady's slipper.’
- ‘Among the natural wonders that should be protected are stag beetles, and ramshorn snails; habitats including salt meadows and oak woods; and rare plants such as the lady's slipper orchid.’
- ‘In early spring, the park is blanketed with wildflowers, including violets, may apples, spring beauties, and lady's slipper orchids.’
- ‘The North American pink lady's slipper orchid flowers during the springtime flight of the queen bumblebee.’
- ‘Mr Lang, a retired veterinary surgeon, says he can still remember the thrill of seeing the lady's slipper in Yorkshire, long before it had to be heavily guarded.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.