Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Made of, resembling, or trimmed with lace.‘a lacy petticoat’
ruffled, flounced, frilled, crimped, gathered, pleated, ruched, tucked, trimmed, lacy, frothyView synonyms
- ‘I chose a short lacy dress that had a flare to the skirt section, so that hopefully this would distract from my tummy.’
- ‘When you have made them all put a plate on top of the plate of lacy pancakes, then turn them over so that the brown crispy side is uppermost.’
- ‘Look out for Lepidium, a short herb with lacy spikes of pale pink flowers and rows of tiny oval seedpods.’
- ‘The top was lacy with spaghetti straps and the bottom was dark red satin.’
- ‘All through elementary school she bought me frilly, lacy dresses and huge hair bows.’
- ‘The foliage is lacy, and attractive even when the flowers are not in bloom.’
- ‘The delightful aromatic scent of delicate, lacy carnations has always captivated me.’
- ‘Marietta shook her head, pulling her lacy shawl tighter around her shoulders.’
- ‘It was a lacy, pink, frilly room complete with canopy bed and a window seat.’
- ‘Most women's lucky underpants are black and lacy; most men's, for some strange reason, are yellow.’
- ‘Those frilly, lacy hearts of different shades of red, white and pink just didn't do it for me.’
- ‘The floors were scrupulously polished pine; there were gas lights on the walls and lacy curtains.’
- ‘She was last seen walking along the Thames without her top, in a white lacy bra and pink floral mini skirt.’
- ‘There are several lacy, underwired and padded styles that look nothing like trainer bras.’
- ‘I wore a soft yellow skirt, a black lacy shirt, and a pair of light green rubber galoshes with daisies on them.’
- ‘The actual wall of the gallery has been painted on one side with an old fashioned design roller, this gives it a yellow lacy feel to it.’
- ‘It is also shifting plenty of feminine, lacy lingerie, in the kind of bright colours that go well with a sun tan.’
- ‘My uniform consists of a short puffy black skirt with a lacy blue apron, and a creamy off-white blouse.’
- ‘The figure in a modest black gown and lacy apron bowed her head demurely.’
- ‘I prefer black and silky to white or lacy, and certainly am not a big fan of thongs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.