Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to a lacuna.
- ‘Careful consideration of the clinical history, as well as the presence of lacunar Reed-Sternberg cells in nodules surrounded by dense collagenous fibrosis, should suggest the diagnosis.’
- ‘In subgroup analysis, a possible beneficial effect was detected in patients with ischemic lacunar strokes.’
- ‘Of the patients with AD, 15.5% also had cerebral microinfarcts, 19.4% had lacunar infarcts, and 19.4% had hippocampal sclerosis.’
- ‘Just 42 patients in the recombinant tissue plasminogen activator trials were over 80, and only a few had lacunar strokes.’
- ‘Patients with diabetes are probably more prone to irreversible rather than reversible ischaemic brain damage, and small lacunar infarcts are common.’
1A vault or ceiling consisting of recessed panels.
- ‘The recurrence of blind arches placed on half columns, with inner lacunars surmounted by arcades resting on columns, is linked by corbels to the wall facing.’
- 1.1A panel in a lacunar.
- ‘Its interior is characterized by a great central peperino arch with lacunars and rosettes, introducing to the high altar consecrated to the Virgin, whose icon is painted on a piece of slate.’
- ‘The inner vault is divided into 7 lines of 32 quadrangular lacunars; each lacunar has a golden rosette in the middle.’
- ‘In the middle of the lacunars, among the light and shade effects, are set gouache paintings, a work by Giuseppe, the son of Giovanni Bernardi.’
- ‘The ceiling is adorned with majolica lacunars.’
- ‘You can admire the floors in original cooked tiles and the interesting girders of the ceiling, divided by wood worked lacunars.’
- ‘In a richly ornamented setting with animals and plants on a red background, in 14 copper rosettes placed between lacunars, there are the Wise Virgins and Foolish Virgins of the New Testament parable; the former hold lighted lamps, the latter have lamps already extinguished.’
- ‘The church is circular in shape and it is covered by an impressive dome which is styled on the Pantheon, with lacunars and rosettes carved from limestone.’
- ‘The ceiling, constructed between 1461 and 1484 is made up of square lacunars with leaf decorations and heads of angels with eight wings, each with different facial characteristics.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.