One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to a lacuna.
- ‘Patients with diabetes are probably more prone to irreversible rather than reversible ischaemic brain damage, and small lacunar infarcts are common.’
- ‘In subgroup analysis, a possible beneficial effect was detected in patients with ischemic lacunar strokes.’
- ‘Just 42 patients in the recombinant tissue plasminogen activator trials were over 80, and only a few had lacunar strokes.’
- ‘Of the patients with AD, 15.5% also had cerebral microinfarcts, 19.4% had lacunar infarcts, and 19.4% had hippocampal sclerosis.’
- ‘Careful consideration of the clinical history, as well as the presence of lacunar Reed-Sternberg cells in nodules surrounded by dense collagenous fibrosis, should suggest the diagnosis.’
1A vault or ceiling consisting of recessed panels.
- ‘The recurrence of blind arches placed on half columns, with inner lacunars surmounted by arcades resting on columns, is linked by corbels to the wall facing.’
- 1.1 A panel in a lacunar.
- ‘In a richly ornamented setting with animals and plants on a red background, in 14 copper rosettes placed between lacunars, there are the Wise Virgins and Foolish Virgins of the New Testament parable; the former hold lighted lamps, the latter have lamps already extinguished.’
- ‘Its interior is characterized by a great central peperino arch with lacunars and rosettes, introducing to the high altar consecrated to the Virgin, whose icon is painted on a piece of slate.’
- ‘The ceiling is adorned with majolica lacunars.’
- ‘You can admire the floors in original cooked tiles and the interesting girders of the ceiling, divided by wood worked lacunars.’
- ‘The ceiling, constructed between 1461 and 1484 is made up of square lacunars with leaf decorations and heads of angels with eight wings, each with different facial characteristics.’
- ‘The church is circular in shape and it is covered by an impressive dome which is styled on the Pantheon, with lacunars and rosettes carved from limestone.’
- ‘In the middle of the lacunars, among the light and shade effects, are set gouache paintings, a work by Giuseppe, the son of Giovanni Bernardi.’
- ‘The inner vault is divided into 7 lines of 32 quadrangular lacunars; each lacunar has a golden rosette in the middle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.