One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A protein present in milk and other secretions, with bactericidal and iron-binding properties.
- ‘Furthermore, research on preneoplastic colonic mucosa of UC patients has demonstrated immunoreactivity to the major iron-binding proteins, lactoferrin, transferrin, and ferritin.’
- ‘A month before, another study showed - for the first time ever that a milk protein known as lactoferrin appears to cause rapid bone growth.’
- ‘The rice has been genetically engineered to produce the human proteins lactoferrin and lysozyme for use in drugs.’
- ‘His work at the forefront of molecular imaging has resulted in this new method of locating and diagnosing cancer, which harnesses the tumour-targeting properties of a protein called lactoferrin.’
- ‘The components of whey include beta-lactoglobulin, alpha-lactalbumin, bovine serum albumin, lactoferrin, immunoglobulins, lactoperoxidase enzymes, glycomacropeptides, lactose, and minerals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.