One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A protein present in milk and other secretions, with bactericidal and iron-binding properties.
- ‘The components of whey include beta-lactoglobulin, alpha-lactalbumin, bovine serum albumin, lactoferrin, immunoglobulins, lactoperoxidase enzymes, glycomacropeptides, lactose, and minerals.’
- ‘A month before, another study showed - for the first time ever that a milk protein known as lactoferrin appears to cause rapid bone growth.’
- ‘His work at the forefront of molecular imaging has resulted in this new method of locating and diagnosing cancer, which harnesses the tumour-targeting properties of a protein called lactoferrin.’
- ‘Furthermore, research on preneoplastic colonic mucosa of UC patients has demonstrated immunoreactivity to the major iron-binding proteins, lactoferrin, transferrin, and ferritin.’
- ‘The rice has been genetically engineered to produce the human proteins lactoferrin and lysozyme for use in drugs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.