One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A team game, originally played by North American Indians, in which the ball is thrown, carried, and caught with a long-handled stick having a curved L-shaped or triangular frame at one end with a piece of shallow netting in the angle.
- ‘We are playing some good lacrosse, but we are letting ourselves down by not competing for the full 80 minutes.’
- ‘He told me once that he thought he was even better at lacrosse than at football.’
- ‘When I was at school and we played lacrosse, our teacher made a rule that only people not on the school team could score.’
- ‘The ancient game of lacrosse has been hit by the soccer disease - violence.’
- ‘Now of course, this game wasn't called lacrosse by native Americans; they had all sorts of different names for it.’
- ‘Even in indoor lacrosse they dress like hockey goalies, with a huge chest protector and huge gloves.’
- ‘He was captain of his ski and lacrosse teams and senior-class president.’
- ‘For Georgie, 24, a keen sportswoman who has played both volleyball and lacrosse competitively, her new post also fulfils a dream.’
- ‘The club, originally formed in 1872, hosts cricket, tennis, hockey, squash, racquet ball and lacrosse.’
- ‘And they perform far more skillfully in soccer, lacrosse and softball than they do in basketball.’
- ‘Why was the Duke lacrosse team allowed to play two games before its season was suspended?’
- ‘For instance, how would Sir Alex have responded if the local lacrosse team had kicked his players off their training pitch?’
- ‘The game has been called the king of one-horse sports and is described as a mix of polo and lacrosse.’
- ‘I was more of a hockey, tennis and lacrosse person at school.’
- ‘She dons lots of Adidas and, whether playing lacrosse, tennis, soccer or hoops, she's always on the ball!’
- ‘I coached football and lacrosse at State University of New York at Albany.’
- ‘In addition, he has been a volunteer coach for youth athletics in football, basketball and lacrosse.’
- ‘A dozen Queen Margaret's School, Escrick, students have been selected for the county's hockey and lacrosse teams.’
- ‘Even someone who has never played the game can find lacrosse quite entertaining.’
- ‘Shinty, lacrosse and, my personal favourite, hockey, are all played and watched by large number of Scots every week.’
Mid 19th century: from French (le jeu de) la crosse ‘(the game of) the hooked stick’. Compare with crosse.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.