One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Where else can you hear a show lachrymosely titled ‘The Saddest Music in the World’?’
- ‘Its wild swings between the lurid and the lachrymosely sentimental are much uglier, however.’
- ‘A bar in which one may engage in such pleasant diversions as drinking beer or wine, bantering lightly or commiserating lachrymosely with friends is only a bar.’
- ‘I also noticed that as you were busy lachrymosely explaining how he had no choice but to be a bum who collects bottles for recycling, you found it much easier to be outraged than to in any way acknowledge my point.’
- ‘You might have thought that Leonora would be just calmly loathing and he lachrymosely contrite.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.