Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A freshwater fish with poorly developed gills and a labyrinthine accessory breathing organ, native to Africa and Asia.
- ‘The spike-tailed paradise fish is a labyrinth fish, and like all such fishes they extract atmospheric oxygen with the help of a vessel-lined cavity above their gill arches.’
- ‘The Gourami is a labyrinth fish, so their places are the top levels.’
- ‘Most labyrinth fish are robust and easy to keep, and on the whole can be expected to do well.’
- ‘Although labyrinth fish have gills, they also have a special organ which allows them to also breathe directly from the air.’
- ‘The actual courtship and spawning are not at all violent or rough compared to some other labyrinth fish.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.