Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Carry (a very heavy load) with difficulty.‘two servants appeared, labouring under the weight of a kitchen table’
2Be misled by (a mistaken belief)‘you've been labouring under a misapprehension’
suffer from, be a victim of, be burdened by, be overburdened by, be disadvantaged by, be underView synonyms
- ‘Chances are you've been laboring under the misguided belief that you're an artist.’
- ‘They appear to labour under several misapprehensions.’
- ‘Many individuals labor under the mistaken assumption that they already know a great deal about film, television, and the other mass media simply because they view and use them all the time.’
- ‘He hoped they were laboring under that belief because there was something he had to get before he could leave town.’
- ‘Here I am labouring under the misconception that progress regarding our treatment and understanding of others, and otherness, had been made.’
- ‘I'm always open to listening to new artists, labouring under the belief that all artists were at some point new and that they had to be given their fair shake.’
- ‘Today, many of us labor under the mistaken notion that natural wood is by its nature preferable to painted wood, no matter what.’
- ‘I think they are laboring under the belief that the state has put up everything they've got to show, that Amber's the icing on the cake.’
- ‘We are labouring under the illusion that we are in control and free of constraints when in truth we are out of control and morally bankrupt.’
- ‘I was marginally shocked when they sat down beside me; I was still labouring under the belief that guys were way too cool to sit cross - legged, especially on the grass.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.