One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A public holiday or day of festivities held in honour of working people, in many countries on 1 May, in the US and Canada on the first Monday in September.
- ‘Colorado, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York observed Labor Day on the first Monday in September that year.’
- ‘Point out that some people have to work on Labor Day and some don't.’
- ‘And so on this Labor Day, when many have the day off, we thank our men and women who wear our uniform.’
- ‘Everything is so front-loaded that I don't think waiting till Labor Day is smart.’
- ‘Today the Labour Day march is a celebration of organised labour's achievements on behalf of the worker.’
- ‘Read on for some history of Labour Day and follow the links at the bottom of the page for related organizations.’
- ‘The Labor Day march across the Mackinac Bridge led by Michigan's governor has replaced the Detroit march.’
- ‘Within the next few years, the idea spread from coast to coast, and all states celebrated Labor Day.’
- ‘Parades, and speeches by labor leaders and political figures, mark Labor Day celebrations.’
- ‘Understand the events which led to the observance of Labor Day as a National Holiday.’
- ‘Although many may think Labour Day celebrations are a relatively recent phenomenon, the Canadian history of this annual holiday dates back almost a hundred years.’
- ‘But while the US celebrates in September, most of the world celebrates Labor Day on May 1st.’
- ‘President Grover Cleveland signed a law designating the first Monday in September as Labor Day nationwide.’
- ‘The beautification of Water Square in the Trelawny capital was the national Labour Day project.’
- ‘This solidarity resulted in the Labour Day march being opened to all workers for the first time in 1890.’
- ‘Many Canadians will have the day off Monday for Labour Day in honour of working people everywhere.’
- ‘Nowadays, Labor Day is associated less with union activities and protest marches and more with leisure.’
- ‘While many people just think of Labor Day as the end of summer - it is actually an important historical holiday.’
- ‘If a non-qualified employee is not asked to work on Labour Day, he or she gets the day off with no pay.’
- ‘Then in 1894, Congress passed a law recognizing Labor Day as an official national holiday.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.