One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A prison camp in which a regime of hard labour is enforced.
- ‘Outside, the propaganda on the labour camps sounds very good.’
- ‘Mr. Shi's time in the labour camp was prolonged many times, as they failed to force him into giving up his beliefs.’
- ‘This mass murder took place simultaneously in the forced labour camps on 3 and 4 November 1943.’
- ‘Meng Qinglin was detained many times without cause and was illegally detained in a labor camp three times.’
- ‘Officials at the labor camp could not be reached for comment.’
- ‘The campaign by Canadian citizens and government workers appears to be having an effect inside the labour camps as well.’
- ‘Writers who refused to change, such as Babel and Pilnyak, were executed or died in labour camps.’
- ‘Torture, mistreatment, lack of international oversight have turned its prison labor camps into death traps’
- ‘Zhang Yi-nan was assaulted at the Ping Ding Shan City labor camp on the first day of his two-year sentence.’
- ‘In theory, re-education camps and reform through labor camps are significantly different.’
- ‘In the meantime the labour camps were full everywhere and our boys had their share.’
- ‘Starting in the spring of 1940, large forced labor camps for Jews were constructed in occupied Poland.’
- ‘The internees of correctional labour camps have been seen by the entire population when so employed.’
- ‘In fact, right-wing complaints about the migratory labor camps operated by the Farm Security Administration led him to send Rothstein to the state in the first place.’
- ‘The Ohrdruf forced labor camp was a sub-camp of the huge Buchenwald camp.’
- ‘Experts see this as a possible move ahead of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing to abolish the labor camps in the country.’
- ‘The Chief Minister, who had recently visited labour camps in the United Arab Emirates, said that the working conditions there were miserable.’
- ‘We could see that the Jews were taken in groups from the labour camp to the training camp.’
- ‘These units also identify and assign new locations for future labour camps that comply to the regulations to be built.’
- ‘The prisoners were then reported to be sent to the labor camp by motor boat before the town's people awoke.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.