One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A musician, group, or singer that is signed to the same record label as another.
- ‘When it comes to the racial politics of jazz, Kinch grabs the opportunity to distance himself (and his labelmates at Dune) from any kind of simple black nationalism.’
- ‘Alison Kraus shows up, she is a label mate on Zoe.’
- ‘Long-time musical associate and labelmate to Bill Frisell, Viktor Krauss strikes out on his own and brings some heavyweights with him.’
- ‘On their first album for Fat Wreck Chords, this threesome incorporated the right amount of the Chicago indie sound to make them fresher than most of their pop-punk label mates.’
- ‘Outrageous Cherry will perform at South By South-West on March 19th along with other Rainbow Quartz label mates.’
- ‘As the only British label mate of Ryan Adams and Lucinda Williams, Topley has long since traded traces of Thames Estuary for Delta blues and a wash of the Caribbean.’
- ‘For the record, the former Aesop Rock producer is more in line with his new labelmates than he ever was with the king of cinematic swells.’
- ‘A decade younger than most of his labelmates, 23-year-old Chris Clark likely grew up with the music of those he can now consider contemporaries.’
- ‘Ian Hunter mentioned Luther Grosvenor from old record label mates at Island, Spooky Tooth.’
- ‘As such, there are no lead single bangers and no guest appearances by the latest hottest names / labelmates of the day.’
- ‘And yet he failed to go on to have anything like the success of some of his fellow label mates.’
- ‘Nevertheless, their sound is a fitting precursor to the hilarious yet obvious shoutings of Art Brut and the schizophrenic hyper-noise of labelmates like Deerhoof and Bunnybrains.’
- ‘Disregard the time-change madness and consider their Action Driver labelmates (which include unapologetic new wavers Radio Berlin), and Thunderbirds almost begin to sound different by proxy.’
- ‘X is greater than Y are normal in comparison to their label mates.’
- ‘Like her label mate, Azita eschews any notions of what a human voice should sound like.’
- ‘Unlike former labelmate, Leila, Hawk isn't trying to redefine a sound.’
- ‘The album would be decidedly poorer without the contribution of these Fat Possum label mates.’
- ‘You mentioned that some of your labelmates outsell you now.’
- ‘And as a labelmate to Sufjan Stevens and Shapes and Sizes, you could count on the sound to be a bit quirky.’
- ‘Look out for collaborations with some of my label mates on that one.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.