Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A musician, group, or singer that is signed to the same record label as another.
- ‘As the only British label mate of Ryan Adams and Lucinda Williams, Topley has long since traded traces of Thames Estuary for Delta blues and a wash of the Caribbean.’
- ‘Look out for collaborations with some of my label mates on that one.’
- ‘Ian Hunter mentioned Luther Grosvenor from old record label mates at Island, Spooky Tooth.’
- ‘Unlike former labelmate, Leila, Hawk isn't trying to redefine a sound.’
- ‘The album would be decidedly poorer without the contribution of these Fat Possum label mates.’
- ‘Alison Kraus shows up, she is a label mate on Zoe.’
- ‘Long-time musical associate and labelmate to Bill Frisell, Viktor Krauss strikes out on his own and brings some heavyweights with him.’
- ‘Disregard the time-change madness and consider their Action Driver labelmates (which include unapologetic new wavers Radio Berlin), and Thunderbirds almost begin to sound different by proxy.’
- ‘And as a labelmate to Sufjan Stevens and Shapes and Sizes, you could count on the sound to be a bit quirky.’
- ‘X is greater than Y are normal in comparison to their label mates.’
- ‘For the record, the former Aesop Rock producer is more in line with his new labelmates than he ever was with the king of cinematic swells.’
- ‘As such, there are no lead single bangers and no guest appearances by the latest hottest names / labelmates of the day.’
- ‘A decade younger than most of his labelmates, 23-year-old Chris Clark likely grew up with the music of those he can now consider contemporaries.’
- ‘Nevertheless, their sound is a fitting precursor to the hilarious yet obvious shoutings of Art Brut and the schizophrenic hyper-noise of labelmates like Deerhoof and Bunnybrains.’
- ‘You mentioned that some of your labelmates outsell you now.’
- ‘And yet he failed to go on to have anything like the success of some of his fellow label mates.’
- ‘Outrageous Cherry will perform at South By South-West on March 19th along with other Rainbow Quartz label mates.’
- ‘Like her label mate, Azita eschews any notions of what a human voice should sound like.’
- ‘On their first album for Fat Wreck Chords, this threesome incorporated the right amount of the Chicago indie sound to make them fresher than most of their pop-punk label mates.’
- ‘When it comes to the racial politics of jazz, Kinch grabs the opportunity to distance himself (and his labelmates at Dune) from any kind of simple black nationalism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.