Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A numbered grade of the less advanced level of proficiency in judo, karate, and other martial arts.
- ‘We frequently hold study seminars and workshops, at which we also try to conduct much of our kyu and dan ranking.’
- ‘I should mention that in Canada the full range of kyu grade belt colors is used, whereas in Japan only white and brown are used.’
- ‘A good performance from Andy Bennett earned him a bronze medal in the men's lightweight kyu grade section.’
- ‘He then informs the Hombu Dojo of the result of kyu testing using this form here.’
- ‘Yes, we require a certain number of practice hours and a test for promotion to kyu and dan ranks.’
- 1.1 A person who has achieved a kyu.
- ‘So I remember these two women when they came to the dojo early on when I was a 4th kyu.’
From Japanese kyū ‘class’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.