One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A numbered grade of the less advanced level of proficiency in judo, karate, and other martial arts.
- ‘I should mention that in Canada the full range of kyu grade belt colors is used, whereas in Japan only white and brown are used.’
- ‘He then informs the Hombu Dojo of the result of kyu testing using this form here.’
- ‘A good performance from Andy Bennett earned him a bronze medal in the men's lightweight kyu grade section.’
- ‘We frequently hold study seminars and workshops, at which we also try to conduct much of our kyu and dan ranking.’
- ‘Yes, we require a certain number of practice hours and a test for promotion to kyu and dan ranks.’
- 1.1 A person who has achieved a kyu.
- ‘So I remember these two women when they came to the dojo early on when I was a 4th kyu.’
From Japanese kyū ‘class’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.