Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A form of malnutrition caused by protein deficiency in the diet, typically affecting young children in the tropics.
- ‘However, Baganda suffer from malaria, and children are frequently afflicted with kwashiorkor, a form of protein-calorie malnutrition.’
- ‘One boy of 22 months developed severe kwashiorkor on a diet of rice milk and erratic solids.’
- ‘Children are more strongly affected by kwashiorkor than adults because they are still growing and their protein requirements are higher.’
- ‘As a result, kwashiorkor, a disease caused by protein deficiency, is common.’
- ‘Medication was sent over to treat diseases like goiter, anemia, kwashiorkor, and AIDS, and the people were also educated about their prevention.’
1930s: a local word in Ghana.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.