One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounSouth African
A style of popular music similar to hip-hop, featuring vocals recited over an instrumental backing with strong bass lines.
- ‘There is something for everyone at the third annual Soweto Arts Festival, from kwaito to hip-hop, from theatre to film and dance.’
- ‘He adds that it is not kwaito, not hip hop but rather different genres mixed up.’
- ‘Unfortunately I do not have a car but I like jazz and kwaito.’
- ‘This brings us to the common claim that much kwaito is apolitical.’
- ‘The film features rap, kwaito, hip-hop and traditional music from Zanzibar, Johannesburg and Cape Town.’
1990s: named after the Amakwaito, a group of 1950s gangsters in Sophiatown (a former quarter of Johannesburg), or from Afrikaans kwaai ‘angry, vicious’, slang ‘excellent, great’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.