One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loose collarless shirt worn by people from South Asia, usually with a salwar, churidars, or pyjama.
- ‘Hindu men wear a type of shirt called a kurta and trousers called dhoti.’
- ‘At the other end of the bench sat a man in a kurta and shawl: he had a turban and a drooping white moustache.’
- ‘We don't have structured garments except the traditional kurta and pajama.’
- ‘Both men and women also wear a kurta, a long tunic-like shirt, and pyjamas, loose baggy trousers.’
- ‘Readymade salwar suits and kurtas from jute to silk are also available.’
From Urdu and Persian kurtah.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.