Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A loose collarless shirt worn by people from South Asia, usually with a salwar, churidars, or pyjama.
- ‘Hindu men wear a type of shirt called a kurta and trousers called dhoti.’
- ‘Both men and women also wear a kurta, a long tunic-like shirt, and pyjamas, loose baggy trousers.’
- ‘We don't have structured garments except the traditional kurta and pajama.’
- ‘Readymade salwar suits and kurtas from jute to silk are also available.’
- ‘At the other end of the bench sat a man in a kurta and shawl: he had a turban and a drooping white moustache.’
From Urdu and Persian kurtah.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.