Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A primarily unarmed Chinese martial art resembling karate.
- ‘Details are sketchy, but it might also involve a bunch of guys in suits doing a lot of shooting and maybe a kung fu master doing kung fu.’
- ‘For example, most styles of Chinese kung fu were created by mimicking fights of animals or birds.’
- ‘What style of kung fu is our hypothetical martial artist trained in?’
- ‘However, both the slapstick and kung fu are ultimately part of a story, and a good story at that.’
- ‘She was also very interested in Asian art and culture and enjoyed kung fu and painting with a strong Asian influence.’
- ‘The test pits one man against 108 wooden men that attempt to block your path with various moves from kung fu.’
- ‘Lee can play the bumpkin well, but it's only a matter of time before the small fact of his knowing kung fu comes into play.’
- ‘There is one thing that all Chinese martial arts have in common; the idea that kung fu itself is merely skill.’
- ‘He becomes Bruce's mentor and his martial-art therapist, offering a mix of Freud and kung fu.’
- ‘I think all this reliance on alarms, electronics and kung fu is a bit ridiculous.’
- ‘It's a spectacular end to the movie with its blend of lethal kung fu and extraordinary acrobatics.’
- ‘Gavin stood up and did some kung fu, speaking out loud as he kicked the air.’
- ‘She was an expert at Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Jujitsu, Jeet Kun Do, Go Shin Jitsu, and kung fu.’
- ‘Mickey, whose real name is Michael Zezima, is a fitness and health freak with a passion for kung fu and chess.’
- ‘A simple example is that unlike Neo, you can't learn kung fu immediately.’
- ‘He has black belts in tae kwon do and kung fu, is a world champion fighter and holds titles in four countries.’
- ‘At one level, the movie is about science fiction, kung fu, firearms and non-stop action.’
- ‘He suffers from depression which kung fu helps to overcome.’
- ‘Their place in the history of martial arts, as the originators of kung fu, has created a worldwide demand for their knowledge.’
- ‘Kalari is considered to be the source of all other Eastern martial art forms such as karate and kung fu.’
From Chinese gōngfu, from gōng ‘merit’ + fu ‘master’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.