One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An orange-like fruit related to the citruses, with an edible sweet rind and acid pulp.
- ‘Consider adding whole lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruits and even kumquats to main courses as they cook.’
- ‘If you see her get caught next time with a load of kumquats, you know that Annette Bening is up to something.’
- ‘For pudding there was ice cream and a selection of fruit including kumquats - small Chinese oranges.’
- ‘The recipe also adds homemade honeyed ginger and store-bought candied orange peel, but I used store-bought crystallized ginger and peel of home-made candied kumquats, which were what I had at my hand.’
- ‘To serve, place some venison in the center of a plate and arrange some cabbage leaves, sliced kumquats, kumquat chutney, and a whole kumquat around the dish.’
- ‘Add the oranges, grapefruits, lemons, kumquats, reserved juices, garlic, and vanilla oil.’
- ‘In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the sliced kumquats and water to a simmer.’
- ‘They have great fun decorating it with ivies, dried citrus fruits, cinnamon sticks, ginger and kumquats.’
- ‘Go to 66 in New York, ask for a mojito and you'll be told about the house special - a version made with kumquats.’
- ‘It may or may not be a strange fruit, but in my life I have never had a kumquat.’
- ‘In spots throughout the room, we displayed lemons, kumquats, cranberries, and rosemary.’
- ‘I have tweaked it a little by replacing oranges with kumquats.’
- ‘She planted pencil pines around the fence and lobbied for the verandah roof to be removed from our Victorian house so she could place cumquats in tubs on the tessellated terrace.’
- ‘Once the liquid has heated, add 6-10 sliced, seeded cumquats and simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes.’
- ‘It was like a warm sorbet with a kumquat on the side.’
- ‘Ask him about the weather or the federal budget or the price of kumquats, and 15 minutes later he'll still be rattling on and on and on.’
- ‘I don't think people want things like kumquats or small octopuses in their drinks.’
- ‘There are candied kumquats, rhubarb ketchup, and mustards flavored with papaya or tamarind.’
- ‘It went nicely with hazelnut ice cream, or poached kumquats, or even a dribbling of sabayon.’
- ‘A grocer is supplied with kumquats but is unable to sell them.’
2The East Asian shrub or small tree that yields the kumquat.
Genus Fortunella, family Rutaceae
- ‘As the official Xinhua news agency described the scene: ‘The banquet hall, decked out with blooming narcissus and fruit-bearing kumquats, was full of cheers and laughter.’’
Late 17th century: from Chinese ( Cantonese dialect) kam kwat ‘little orange’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.