Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] (in martial arts) freestyle fighting.
- ‘Every now and then, we'd break off into pairs for kumite, or sparring.’
- ‘What can you tell us about his performance in kumite?’
- ‘Calum has won every tournament entered for kata and kumite so far this year which is an amazing achievement for someone so young.’
- ‘They included junior kata and kumite, ladies kata and kumite, senior black belt kata and kumite.’
- ‘Another example occurred when I was doing kumite with Sensei at his home.’
Japanese, literally sparring.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.