One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
German civilization and culture (sometimes used in a derogatory sense to suggest elements of racism, authoritarianism, or militarism).
- ‘Such a challenge to German Kultur and administration sharpened German nationalism and began to transform it from a cosmopolitan into an exclusive kind.’
- ‘The authentic Kultur of the German people was surely to be preferred to the artificial Civilization of a cosmopolitan, materialistic French-speaking elite.’
- ‘The image of the German musician as a gifted and attractive man who knew how to express his feelings became a symbol for Germany's ubiquitous and attractive Kultur.’
- ‘In contrast, German Kultur included knowledge, education, civilization, national genius and the arts (high culture) all of which expressed the national soul.’
- ‘Traditionally, music has been instrumental to the shaping of German national identity and it loomed large as the centerpiece of German Kultur, much larger than painting ever did.’
German, from Latin cultura or French culture (see culture).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.