One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1mass noun (in Jewish cooking) a kind of savoury pudding of potatoes or other vegetables.
- ‘For Passover, choose from three types of kugel - purple potato, saffron and sweet potato.’
- ‘He meant potato kugel, no doubt made in the traditional way with eggs, chicken fat, onion, and grated potato.’
- ‘The table was set with kugel and rolls still steaming from the oven.’
- ‘They bring steaming trays of potato kugel and berry cobbler, bottles of grape juice and sweet wine.’
- ‘Their tote bags were laden with vegetables to prepare for chicken soup and potato kugel.’
2South African derogatory A spoilt and materialistic young woman, typically Jewish, with a distinctive nasal accent.
- ‘Wealthy middle-aged American women, with bright red lipstick, black Cleopatra hairstyles and accents similar to Sandton kugels swamped the gardens, clicking digital cameras.’
- ‘And, despite her being the epitome of a kugel, the South African version of a Jewish American Princess, and being stereotypically racist in a white South African way, I actually like the woman.’
Yiddish, literally ‘ball’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.